TMJ/Botox Therapy in Albuquerque, NM
TMJ Pain Relief with Botox Treatment
Temporomandibular joints are essential for eating, swallowing, talking, and other significant functions. When these joints are displaced or overworked due to teeth grinding or excessive force, sharp pain along the jaw, as well as tension headaches and migraines can manifest. Luckily, the residents of Albuquerque and surrounding New Mexico communities have our experts at Dental House for help.
Our TMJ Botox specialist and her team are equipped with Botox for cases that don’t respond well to conventional TMJ treatments. Our professional staff can help alleviate your pain and regain your quality of life back to normal.
Causes and Signs of TMJ Disorder
A clicking sound of your joints or around your jaws can indicate that you have a TMJ disorder. Nonetheless, if you are not experiencing any pain or hindrance of movement due to your joints locking, you most likely do not require treatment for TMJ.
Some common causes of pain in your temporomandibular joints can include:
- The shock-absorbing disc that cushions the joint moving out of proper alignment or eroding over time
- Bruxism, also known as the clenching or grinding of your teeth adding discomforting pressure on your joint(s)
- Certain arthritis diseases such as osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis
- Stress, which can cause maxillofacial muscles to tense up or cause your teeth to clench
- Injury or damage around the joints or jaw regions
Signs and symptoms that you may be experiencing TMJ disorder include:
- Tenderness or pain in the jaw, face, neck, and/or shoulders
- Pain or ringing in your ears
- Trouble chewing or pain while chewing
- Swelling in the face
- Joints locking that make it difficult to open or close your mouth
What to Expect from TMJ Botox Treatment
Botox as a treatment option works best when the source of your TMJ pain is caused by overactive jaw muscles. The length of the procedure varies depending on how many injections you need and where the pain is being felt, but one session typically lasts between 10-30 minutes.
The only pain you might feel from this minimally-invasive treatment is from the injection itself. Most patients find their TMJ-induced pain-alleviating or improved within 48 hours, but it may take up to a week for relief to occur.
With TMJ Botox injections, you may find the following benefits :
- The intensity and frequency of your headaches or migraines are reduced or eliminated
- Stress and/or anxiety levels to drop
- Improvement of your sleeping habits
- Alleviation/improvement of prior sensitive teeth
- Protection from clenching or grinding of your teeth
The Go-To for All Your Dental Needs
Focused on Patient Safety & Care
Most Treatments Done In-House
Most Insurances Are Accepted
Platinum Discount Plan Available
Top-Quality Care That's Affordable
Our highly experienced team is ready to care for you and your whole family in our new state-of-the-art office. We've got your covered for all your dental needs.